NEW FILMS

a short notice



As you know, I am both a struggling film critic and an undergraduate student. Balancing my Chemical Engineering studies with my segue-type Film Studies is a hard job, but it gets really exciting especially when, as you move along the lobby of the Arts and Letter building at a decrepit pace, you suddenly stopped at a DVD stall. Forget about nuclear rods and diffusion of gases, or fluids in turbulent flow!

I picked four films almost at random because i was running late for my speech class. I just want to share these with you.


NEW FILMS


1.) Shitsurakuen (Lost Paradise, Yoshimitsu Morita, 1997)

Too bad! I mistaken this to be Unagi (The Eel, Akiro Yoshimura, 1997), Palme d'Or winner tied with Kiarostami's A Taste of Cherry (1997) last Cannes Film Fest '97.



2.) Clean, Shaven (Lodge Kerrigan, 1994)

It's a Criterion Collection DVD. I can't wait to watch this one.




3.) M (Fritz Lang, 1931)

The only classic that I grabbed, probably because of the lack of time. I didn't browse thourougly the collection. It's a Criterion and comes in two discs! This is a controversial film. It's classified midway between the end of German Expressionism and the rise of Film Noir.


4) The Wind That Shakes the Barley (Ken Loach, 2006)

A Palme d'Or at Cannes (notice how i really treasure Palme d'Or works), it's a war film. What more can I say? I always felt i'm doing a favor to my father when i watch war films. My father is a war film addict.


One minute late for my class, Ciao!


xxxxxxxxxxxx