On Blog Banners

...


The 400 Blows (1959) Blog Banner
circa February 2009 - January 13, 2011

The 400 Blows (1959) Blog Banner [link to the movie] - I have been keeping this for almost two years. I have never attempted to change it because its mythic positioning of the Antoine Dionel's head from a focal center to the side. I imagined my blog that time to be a venue for art cinema, a boiling chamber of ideas for a more critical, more analytical venue to ponder issues on stylistics and narratology of films applying theories of David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson. The film commands the entry of world cinema from the formulaic dominance of Classical Hollywood Cinema of the 1950s to the aesthetically diverse French New Wave of 1960s. This transition was aided by a group of revolutionary film critics who wanted to change the stagnant style of Hollywood. The banner pays tribute to that transition.

L'Avventura (1960) Blog Banner [link to movie] - I finally had a courage to change the banner from its previous look. The theme of this banner is a mix influence of Jacques Tati 's Playtime (1967) and Michelangelo Antonioni's L'Avventura. I also increased the font size of the blog title three times to put emphasis. I also changed the tag line from 'Films, Art, Life and Nothing more...' to 'Exploring World Cinema frame-by-frame' to launch my dedication to the close analysis of world cinema for everyone's pleasure and understanding. One might notice that the banner is reminiscent of the CANNES IFF 2009 banner. I made it that way as a tribute to one of the most memorable Cannes season for Philippine Cinema with Brilante Mendoza winning the prestigious award Prix de la Mise-en-scene for Kinatay (2009), Raya Martin's film Independencia (2009) slated for Un Certain Regard category and Raya and Adolf Alix Jr.'s Manila (2009) screened for Out of Competition. 2009 was also the year when our dearest Alexis Tioseco died and somehow this banner is dedicated to his efforts of bringing Philippine Cinema to the World cinema stage even if its costs his whole life.


I don't know if I will change my blog banner next year or the following years. But surely, if ever I did change one, it will surely meant a lot.

Ciao!
***